Marchigian, 1483 - 1520
The Small Cowper Madonna, c. 1505
oil on panel
overall: 59.5 x 44 cm (23 7/16 x 17 5/16 in.) framed: 86.2 x 71.4 x 8.3 cm (33 15/16 x 28 1/8 x 3 1/4 in.)
Object 2 of 7
Anonymous collection or dealer, Florence, sold c. 1780 to George Nassau Clavering-Cowper, 3rd Earl Cowper [1738-1789], Florence; by inheritance to George Augustus Clavering-Cowper, 4th Earl Cowper [d. 1799]; by inheritance to Peter Leopold Louis Francis Nassau Clavering-Cowper, 5th Earl Cowper [d. 1837], Panshanger, Hertford, England; by inheritance to George Augustus Frederick Cowper, 6th Earl Cowper [d. 1856], Panshanger; by inheritance to Francis Thomas De Grey Cowper, 7th Earl Cowper and 7th Baron Lucas [d. 1905], Panshanger and Wrest Park, Bedford, England; by inheritance to his widow, Katrine Cecilia Compton Cowper, Countess Cowper [d. 1913], Panshanger; by inheritance to Lady Ethel Desborough, granddaughter of the 6th Earl, Panshanger; sold 1913 to (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); sold 1914 to Peter A.B. Widener, Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; inheritance from Estate of Peter A.B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Clavering-Cowper, 3rd Earl Cowper, George Nassau
- Clavering-Cowper, 4th Earl Cowper, George Augustus
- Clavering-Cowper, 5th Earl Cowper, Peter Leopold Louis Francis Nassau
- Cowper, 6th Earl Cowper, George Augustus Frederick
- Cowper, 7th Earl Cowper and 7th Baron Lucas, Francis Thomas De Grey
- Cowper, Countess Cowper, Katrine Cecilia Comptom
- Desborough, Ethel, Lady
- Duveen Brothers, Inc.
- Widener, Joseph E.
- Widener, Peter Arrell Brown
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|