National Gallery of Art - THE COLLECTION
image of Cardinal Bandinello Sauli, His Secretary, and Two Geographers Sebastiano del Piombo (artist)
Venetian, 1485 - 1547
Cardinal Bandinello Sauli, His Secretary, and Two Geographers, 1516
oil on panel
overall: 121.8 x 150.4 cm (47 15/16 x 59 3/16 in.) framed: 153.7 x 181.6 x 10.2 cm (60 1/2 x 71 1/2 x 4 in.)
Samuel H. Kress Collection
On View
From the Tour: Venice and the North
Object 3 of 6


Palazzo Giacomo Balbi del fu Costantino, Genoa, by 1780. Henry Labouchère, 1st baron Taunton [d. 1869], Quantock Lodge, Bridgwater, Somerset, by 1854; probably his widow, Mary Matilda [d. 1892]; probably by inheritance to their daughter, Mary Dorothy Stanley [d. 1920], Quantock Lodge, or her son, Captain Edward Arthur Vesey Stanley [1879-1941], Quantock Lodge, until at least 1912. Henry George Charles Lascelles, Viscount Lascelles and later 6th earl of Harewood [1882-1947], London, and Harewood House, Leeds, Yorkshire, by 1920;[1] by inheritance to his son, George Henry Hubert Lascelles, 7th earl of Harwood [1923-2011], Harewood House; sold 1949 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1961 to NGA.

[1] The painting was published in 1920, owned by Viscount Lascelles, as Portrait Group to illustrate the article "A Portrait Group by Sebastiano del Piombo" by Tancred Borenius, The Burlington Magazine XXXVII, no. CCXI (October 1920): 169, repro. Viscount Lascelles became the 6th earl of Harewood after his father's death in October 1929. See also Tancred Borenius, Catalogue of the Pictures and Drawings at Harewood House and Elsewhere in the Collection of the Earl of Harewood, Oxford, 1936: no. 62, pl. XIX, where the painting is listed as being in the earl's London residence. Until its demolition in 1934 the earl had resided in Chesterfield House, which he purchased shortly before his 1922 marriage to H.R.H. Princess Mary, the Princess Royal, daughter of King George V and Queen Mary. A photograph probably taken in 1931 shows the painting hanging at the top of the great staircase (reproduced in John Cornforth, London Interiors from the Archives of Country Life, London, 2000: 102); however, a photograph of the same part of the house published in 1922 around the time of the wedding shows the same wall empty (H. Avray Tipping, "Chesterfield House, Mayfair.-I. A Residence of Viscount Lascelles," LI, no. 1312 [25 February 1922]: 237).

Associated Names

Full Screen Image
Artist Information
Exhibition History

«back to gallery»continue tour