Andrea di Bartolo (painter)|
Sienese, active from 1389 - died 1428
The Nativity of the Virgin, c. 1400/1405
tempera on poplar panel
painted surface: 44.2 × 32.5 cm (17 3/8 × 12 13/16 in.) overall: 46.7 × 33.9 × 0.6 cm (18 3/8 × 13 3/8 × 1/4 in.) framed: 48.3 x 36.8 x 4.1 cm (19 x 14 1/2 x 1 5/8 in.)
Samuel H. Kress Collection
Object 5 of 10
This panel, along with NGA 1939.1.41 and 1939.1.43, are stated to have come from the collection of a contessa Giustiniani, Genoa; (Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi, Rome); sold July 1930 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1939 to NGA.
 See the bill of sale described in note 2. No documented collection of the conti Giustiniani at Genoa seems to have existed, at least in the early years of the twentieth century. The works that Elisabeth Gardner ( A Bibliographical Repertory of Italian Private Collections, ed. Chiara Ceschi and Katharine Baetjer, 4 vols., Vicenza, 1998-2011: 2(2002):183) cites as formerly the property of the contessa Giustiniani almost all seem to have been purchased on the art market shortly before 1930, when Contini Bonacossi sold them to Samuel H. Kress. The contessa is thus more likely to have been a dealer, or agent, than a collector. See also Miklós Boskovits and David Alan Brown, Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century, National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue, Washington and New York, 2003: 616 n. 3.
 The painting is included on a bill of sale dated 15 July 1930 that included eight paintings from the Giustiniani collection (copy in NGA curatorial files).
- Contini Bonacossi, Alessandro, Count
- Giustiniani, Contessa
- Kress Foundation, Samuel H. (Kress number K85)
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|