National Gallery of Art - THE COLLECTION
image of The Return of the Prodigal Son Bartolomé Esteban Murillo (artist)
Spanish, 1617 - 1682
The Return of the Prodigal Son, 1667/1670
oil on canvas
overall: 236.3 x 261 cm (93 1/16 x 102 3/4 in.) framed: 262.9 x 286.4 x 8.6 cm (103 1/2 x 112 3/4 x 3 3/8 in.)
Gift of the Avalon Foundation
1948.12.1
On View
From the Tour: Spanish Painting in the Seventeenth Century
Object 7 of 7

Provenance

Commissioned for the Hospital de la Caridad [Hospital of Charity], Seville; removed by government decree to Alcázar, Seville, 1810, from whence it was taken to Paris in 1812 by Marshal Nicolas Jean de Dieu Soult, Duke of Dalmatia [1769-1851]; sold 1835 to George Granville Sutherland-Leveson-Gower [1786-1861], 2nd duke of Sutherland, Stafford House, London; by descent through the dukes of Sutherland to George Granville Sutherland-Leveson-Gower [1888-1963], 5th duke of Sutherland; sold 7 January 1948 to (Thomas Agnew & Sons, Ltd, London); sold 30 December 1948 to the Avalon Foundation, New York;[1] gift 1948 to NGA.

[1] Stockbook no. 9765, Thomas Agnew & Sons, London.

Associated Names

Full Screen Image
Artist Information
Bibliography
Conservation Notes
Exhibition History
Location
Narratives

«back to gallery