Lucas Cranach the Elder (artist)|
German, 1472 - 1553
The Nymph of the Spring, after 1537
oil on panel
overall: 48.4 x 72.8 cm (19 1/16 x 28 11/16 in.) framed: 62.9 x 87.6 cm (24 3/4 x 34 1/2 in.)
Gift of Clarence Y. Palitz
Object 2 of 12
Probably Baron von Schenck, Flechtingen Castle, near Magdeburg. (Bohler and Steinmeyer, Lucerne and New York, 1931-1933). Clarence Y. Palitz [d.1958], New York, by 1939; gift 1957 to NGA.
 Max J. Friedländer and Jacob Rosenberg. Die Gemälde von Lucas Cranach. (Berlin, 1932), 53-54, nos. 123-124 (Rev. ed. The Paintings of Lucas Cranach. Amsterdam, 1978, 99, nos. 145-146, repro.), cites the painting as being formerly in the von Schenck collection, though this is not verified.
 Information from a copy of the Böhler stock records in the Getty Provenance Index, Santa Monica; letter of 18 August 1988, from Martha Hepworth to Sally E. Mansfield, in curatorial files. The painting is listed as being on consignment from "Sarasota," it has not been possible to verify Hepworth's suggestion that this might refer to John Ringling. A notation in the stock records suggests that the painting passed to the dealer Paul Cassirer, but it has not been possible to confirm this. Böhler and Steinmeyer was the firm created by Julius Böhler, Munich, and Fritz Steinmeyer, Lucerne, and operated from the 1920s on; see letter of 29 August 1988, in curatorial files, from Julius Böhler to John Hand.
 Listed as being in his collection in the Exhibition catalogue Classics of the Nude, New York, 1939, no. 54.
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|