Lucas Cranach the Elder (artist)|
German, 1472 - 1553
The Crucifixion with the Converted Centurion, 1536
oil on panel
overall: 50.8 x 34.6 cm (20 x 13 5/8 in.) framed: 67.6 x 51.7 x 5.3 cm (26 5/8 x 20 3/8 x 2 1/16 in.)
Samuel H. Kress Collection
Object 4 of 12
Dr. Demiani, Leipzig, by 1899; (sale, Rudolph Lepke, Berlin, 11 November 1913, no. 40). Mrs. Jenö Hubay, née Countess Cebrian Rosa; sold after her husband's death in 1937 to Mathias Salamon; acquired 1947 by Aladar Feigel, Budapest; George Biro; sold 1952 to (Dominion Gallery, Montreal); sold 1952 to (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), jointly owned by (Pinakos, Inc);  purchased February 1952 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1961 to NGA.
 Lent to the 1899 Cranach-Ausstellung in Dresden.
 Letter dated 8 January 1952 from George Biro to the Dominion Gallery, Dominion Gallery Fonds, Nox 71, file 4, purchased 1951-1959, A-E, National Gallery of Canada (copy NGA curatorial files). Also letter of 8 January 1952 from Max Stern, Dominion Gallery, to Charles Henschel, M. Knoedler & Co., in Knoedler files (copy NGA curatorial records).
 Letter of 2 March 1988 from Nancy C. Little to John Hand, in NGA curatorial files. A report of the Getty Provenance Index, in curatorial files, states that the painting was jointly owned by Pinakos, Inc. (Rudolf Heinemann).
 Painting at NGA from June 1953 but was not formally accessioned by the Gallery until 1961.
- Demiani, Dr.
- Dominion Gallery
- Feigel, Aladar
- Pinakos, Inc.
- Hubay, Jenö, Mrs.
- Knoedler & Company, M.
- Kress Foundation, Samuel H. (Kress number K1899)
- Lepke Kunst-Auctions-Haus, Rudolph
- Salamon, Mathias
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|