Hans Mielich (artist)|
German, 1516 - 1573
A Member of the Fröschl Family, c. 1539/1540
oil on panel
overall: 64.2 x 47 cm (25 1/4 x 18 1/2 in.) framed: 84.8 x 68.3 x 6.4 cm (33 3/8 x 26 7/8 x 2 1/2 in.)
Gift of David Edward Finley and Margaret Eustis Finley
Object 11 of 12
John Rushout, 2nd baron Northwick [1769-1859], Thirlestane House, Cheltenham, possibly by the early nineteenth century; (Thirlestane House sale conducted by Phillips, 26 July - 30 August 1859, no. 134, as by Amberger). Alfred Morrison [1821- 1897], London and Fonthill House, Tisbury, Wiltshire, by 1887; by inheritance to his son, Hugh Morrison [d. 1931], Fonthill House, Tisbury, Wiltshire and Islay House, Argyll; by inheritance to his son, John Granville Morrison, 1st baron Margadale, Fonthill House and Islay House; (sale, Christie's, London, 18 April 1980, no. 87). (P. & D. Colnaghi & Co., Ltd., New York, owned jointly with Artemis/David Carritt Limited, London), by 1983; purchased November 1984 by NGA.
 Timothy Bathurst, who knows the Northwick Collection well, suggested that the paintings were acquired early in the century, letter of 30 January 1989 to John Hand in NGA curatorial files. The first published reference found by John Hand is the 1859 auction catalogue.
 The date of 28 December 1887 occurs on a paper label on the reverse of the panel.
- Artemis Fine Arts Inc., New York
- Christie, Manson & Woods, Ltd.
- Colnaghi & Co., Ltd., P. & D.
- Margadale, John Granville Morrison, 1st baron
- Morrison, Alfred
- Morrison, Hugh
- Rushout, 2nd baron Northwick, John Sir
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|