Hans Mielich (artist)|
German, 1516 - 1573
A Member of the Fröschl Family, c. 1539/1540
oil on panel
overall: 64.2 x 47 cm (25 1/4 x 18 1/2 in.) framed: 84.8 x 68.3 x 6.4 cm (33 3/8 x 26 7/8 x 2 1/2 in.)
Gift of David Edward Finley and Margaret Eustis Finley
Object 11 of 12
Conservation NotesThe painting is composed of two boards joined vertically along a slight diagonal. There is a convex warp in the panel of approximately 1 cm at its highest point. The panel appears to have split along the upper and lower ends of the join and the disjoins have been repaired by regluing and by gluing a wooden spline to the reverse of the join. Underdrawing applied with a brush in the landscape and the sitter's hands is visible in infrared photographs; the underdrawing of the proper right hand extends onto the ground of the unpainted lower ledge.
The painting is in very good condition and appears to have been restored shortly before its acquisition by the National Gallery. There are minor inpainted losses along the top and bottom of the join, and very small areas of abrasion and loss in and around the hands. There are some pinpoint inpainted losses in the background, especially in the window frame and along the edges of the painting.
The paint on the reverse is more directly painted with a dry, sketchy technique, and underdrawing is not evident here. The reverse has suffered scattered losses, and along the edges an area of paint approximately 5 cm wide has been abraded or damaged. Along the join the paint and ground have been sanded away to prepare the area for the reinforcing spline.
 The wood was identified by Peter Klein, examination report, 29 September 1987, in NGA curatorial files, and by the National Gallery's scientific research department.
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|