National Gallery of Art - THE COLLECTION
image of The Adoration of the Magi Juan de Flandes (artist)
Hispano-Flemish, active 1496 - 1519
The Adoration of the Magi, c. 1508/1519
oil on panel
painted surface: 124.7 x 79 cm (49 1/8 x 31 1/8 in.) overall (panel): 126 x 82 cm (49 5/8 x 32 5/16 in.) framed: 143.2 x 99.7 x 10.7 cm (56 3/8 x 39 1/4 x 4 3/16 in.)
Samuel H. Kress Collection
1961.9.24
On View
From the Tour: Netherlandish and Spanish Altarpieces in the Late 1400s and Early 1500s
Object 2 of 6

Provenance

Altarpiece of the "capilla mayor (main chapel)," church of San Lázaro, Palencia, commissioned c. 1508, until at least 1761.[1] Acquired c. 1952 by (Frederick Mont, New York);[2] purchased 11 February 1953 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1961 to NGA.

[1] Don Sancho de Castilla made the commission. A 1761 document confirming its presence in the church was discovered by Ignace Vandevivere, Primitifs flamands. Corpus. La cathédrale de Palencia et l'église paroissiale de Cervera de Pisuerga (Brussels, 1967), 45.

[2] In 1952 all four panels now in the Gallery were with Frederick Mont in New York; see letter of 28 October 1952 from Chandler R. Post to Mont in the NGA curatorial files. Mont refers to having bought the pictures in Spain in a letter dated 16 April 1953 to Wilhelm Valentiner (Valentiner Papers, Archives of American Art, microfilm reel no. 2143, copies, NGA curatorial files).

Associated Names

Full Screen Image
Artist Information
Bibliography
Conservation Notes
Location
Narratives

«back to gallery»continue tour