Sir Joshua Reynolds (artist)|
British, 1723 - 1792
Lady Caroline Howard, 1778
oil on canvas
overall: 143 x 113 cm (56 5/16 x 44 1/2 in.) framed: 167.3 x 138.7 cm (65 7/8 x 54 5/8 in.)
Andrew W. Mellon Collection
Object 7 of 8
Painted for the sitter's father, Frederick Howard, 5th earl of Carlisle [1748-1825], Castle Howard, Yorkshire; by descent to the Hon. Geoffrey Howard [1877-1935], son of George, 9th earl of Carlisle, who sold it February 1926 to (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 3 February 1926 by Andrew W. Mellon, Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C.; deeded December 1934 to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
 The addition of the 7th Earl of Carlisle to Ownership Detail below is per NGA curatorial files.
- Duveen Brothers, Inc.
- Howard, 5th earl of Carlisle, Frederick
- Howard, 7th earl of Carlisle, George William Frederick
- Howard, 9th earl of Carlisle, George
- Howard, Geoffrey William Algernon, The Hon.
- Mellon, Andrew W.
- Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, The A.W.
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|