George Romney (artist)|
British, 1734 - 1802
Mrs. Thomas Scott Jackson, c. 1770/1773
oil on canvas
overall: 239 x 147 cm (94 1/8 x 57 7/8 in.)
Andrew W. Mellon Collection
Not on View
Object 11 of 12
Painted for the sitter's first husband, Thomas Scott Jackson [d. 1791]; by descent to the sitter's daughter, Maria [d. 1830], who married Sir John Grey-Egerton, 8th Bt. of Oulton; by descent to Sir Philip Grey-Egerton, 12th Bt. [1864-1937]; sold c. 1905 to (Thos. Agnew & Sons, London). (Robert Langton Douglas (1864-1951), London);  purchased by J. Pierpont Morgan, Sr. [1837-1913], New York; bequeathed to his daughter, Juliette [Mrs. William P. Hamilton], New York; sold December 1936 to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
 See letter from Douglas to Fowles dated 1 May 1941, Duveen Brothers Records, Box 244 (reel 299).
- Agnew & Sons, Ltd., Thomas
- Douglas, Robert Langton
- Grey-Egerton, 10th Bt., Philip de Malpas, Sir
- Grey-Egerton, 11th Bt., Philip le Belward, Sir
- Grey-Egerton, 12th Bt. of Oulton, Philip Henry Brian, Sir
- Grey-Egerton, Maria, Lady
- Hamilton, Juliette Pierpont Morgan, Mrs.
- Jackson, Thomas Scott
- Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, The A.W.
- Morgan, Sr., J. Pierpont
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|