George Romney (artist)|
British, 1734 - 1802
Miss Juliana Willoughby, 1781-1783
oil on canvas
overall: 92.1 x 71.5 cm (36 1/4 x 28 1/8 in.)
Andrew W. Mellon Collection
Object 10 of 12
Painted for the sitter's father, Sir Christopher Willoughby, Bt. [1748-1808], Baldon House, Oxfordshire; by descent to Sir John Willoughby, 5th Bt., Fulmer Hall, Slough, Buckinghamshire, by whom it was sold 1906. (M. Knoedler & Co., London and New York); purchased February 1907 by Andrew W. Mellon, Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C.; deeded 28 December 1934 to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
 The 2nd through 4th Baronets Willoughby added to the former owner table in the NGA collection database are per The Getty Provenance Index, which lists these baronets each with the symbol (?), indicating some doubt as to the painting's direct passage through these three succeeding brothers down to the 5th Bt.
- Knoedler & Company, M.
- Mellon, Andrew W.
- Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, The A.W.
- Willoughby, 1st Bt., Christopher, Sir
- Willoughby, 2nd Bt., Christopher William, Sir
- Willoughby, 3rd Bt., Henry Pollard, Sir
- Willoughby, 4th Bt., John Pollard, Sir
- Willoughby, 5th Bt., John Christopher, Sir
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|