National Gallery of Art - THE COLLECTION
image of The Frankland Sisters John Hoppner (artist)
British, 1758 - 1810
The Frankland Sisters, 1795
oil on canvas
overall: 155 x 125 cm (61 x 49 3/16 in.) framed: 182.2 x 151.8 cm (71 3/4 x 59 3/4 in.)
Andrew W. Mellon Collection
1937.1.111
On View
From the Tour: British and American Grand Manner Portraits of the 1700s
Object 6 of 12

Provenance

Painted for the sitters' father, Sir Thomas Frankland, 6th Bt. [1750-1831], Thirkleby, Yorkshire; by descent to his granddaughter, Rosalind Alicia Frankland-Russel-Astley [d. 1900], Chequers Court, Buckinghamshire; sold c. 1896 to (Thos. Agnew & Sons, London); purchased 1896 by John H. McFadden. Presumably sold back to (Thos. Agnew & Sons, London);[1] purchased 1898 by Sir Charles Tennant, Bt. [1823-1906], Glen, Innerleithen, Peebles, Scotland; by descent to his grandson, Christopher, 2nd Baron Glenconner [b. 1899]; sold July 1923 to (Charles Carstairs for M. Knoedler & Co., London and New York);[2] purchased November 1923 by Andrew W. Mellon, Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C.; deeded December 1934 to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.

[1] Geoffrey (later Sir Geoffrey) Agnew, Agnew's 1817-1967, London, 1967, 36, pl. The plate records J.H. McFadden and Sir Charles Tennant as the owners in 1896 and 1898 respectively.

[2] James Dugdale, "Sir Charles Tennant: the Story of a Victorian Collector," Connoisseur 178 (1971), 11-12. A group of ten paintings was purchased by Carstairs in July 1923 and was exhibited in 1924 at Knoedler's new headquarters in New York, whence the Hoppner was purchased by Andrew Mellon shortly before the exhibition.

Associated Names

Full Screen Image
Artist Information
Bibliography
Conservation Notes
Exhibition History
Inscription
Location
Narratives

«back to gallery»continue tour