Gilbert Stuart (painter)|
American, 1755 - 1828
The Skater (Portrait of William Grant), 1782
oil on canvas
overall: 245.5 x 147.4 cm (96 5/8 x 58 1/16 in.) framed: 274.3 x 177.2 x 9.5 cm (108 x 69 3/4 x 3 3/4 in.)
Andrew W. Mellon Collection
Object 12 of 12
- Royal Academy, London, 1782, no. 190, as Portrait of a gentleman skating
- Exhibition of Works by Old Masters, and by Deceased Masters of the British School, Royal Academy, London, 1878, no. 128, as Portrait of W. Grant, Esq., of Congalton, Skating in St. James Park, attributed to Thomas Gainsborough
- American Painting from the Eighteenth Century to the Present Day, Tate Gallery, London, 1946, no. 206
- Style, Truth, and the Portrait, Cleveland Museum of Art, Ohio, 1963, no. 38
- Gilbert Stuart, Portraitist of the Young Republic, 1755-1828, National Gallery of Art; Museum of Art, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, 1967, no. 8
- American Art: 1750-1800, Towards Independence, Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven; The Victoria and Albert Museum, London, 1976, no. 44
- American Portraiture in the Grand Manner: 1720-1920, Los Angeles County Museum of Art; National Portrait Gallery, Washington, D.C., 1981-1982, no. 21.
- Great British Paintings from American Collections: Holbein to Hockney, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven; The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens, San Marino, 2001-2002, no. 35, repro.
- Gilbert Stuart, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; National Gallery of Art (for the National Portrait Gallery), Washington, D.C., 2004-2005, no. 6, repro.
|«||back to gallery|