Gilbert Stuart (painter)|
American, 1755 - 1828
George Washington (Vaughan portrait), 1795
oil on canvas
overall: 73 x 60.5 cm (28 3/4 x 23 13/16 in.) framed: 100.3 x 87.3 cm (39 1/2 x 34 3/8 in.)
Andrew W. Mellon Collection
Not on View
Object 3 of 5
- Exhibition of Portraits Painted by Gilbert Stuart, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1880, no. 262
- Loan Exhibition of Historical Portraits, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1887-1888, no. 448
- Centennial Celebration of the Inauguration of George Washington; Loan Exhibition of Historical Portraits and Relics, Metropolitan Opera House, New York, 1889, no. 30
- A Loan Exhibition of Paintings by Early American Portrait Painters, The Century Association, New York, 1926, no. 1.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928-1931, unnumbered and unpaginated catalogue.
- Exhibition of Historical Portraits, 1585-1830, Virginia Historical Society, Richmond, 1929, unnumbered
- George Washington Bicentennial Historical Loan Exhibition of Portraits of George Washington and his Associates, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1932, no. 12
- Masterpieces of Art. European & American Paintings 1500-1900, New York World's Fair, 1940, no. 181.
- Gilbert Stuart: Portraits Lent by the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 1944-1945, no. 12
- American Painting from the Eighteenth Century to the Present Day, Tate Gallery, London, 1946, no. 203
- Gilbert Stuart, Portraitist of the Young Republic, 1755-1828, National Gallery of Art; Museum of Art, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence, 1967, no. 27
- Presidential Portraits, National Portrait Gallery, Washington, 1968, unnumbered
- Harry D.M. Grier Memorial Loan Exhibition, The Frick Collection, New York, 1972, no. 11
- Gilbert Stuart, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; National Gallery of Art (for the National Portrait Gallery), Washington, D.C., 2004-2005, no. 35, repro.
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|