Gilbert Stuart (painter)|
American, 1755 - 1828
James Madison, c. 1821
oil on wood
overall: 65.3 x 54.3 cm (25 11/16 x 21 3/8 in.) framed: 88.9 x 79.4 x 12.1 cm (35 x 31 1/4 x 4 3/4 in.)
Ailsa Mellon Bruce Fund
Object 4 of 5
- American Academy of the Fine Arts, New York, 1832, no. 196
- Exhibition of Select Paintings, by Modern Artists, principally American, and living, under the Direction of a Committee of Amateurs, Stuyvesant Institute, New York, 1838, no. 198
- Banquet held at City Hall, New York, on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of Washington's inauguration, 1839
- The Washington Exhibition in aid of the New-York Gallery of the Fine Arts, at the American Art-Union Gallery, New York, 1853, no. 136
- First Annual Exhibition of the Washington Art Association, Washington, D.C., 1857, no. 101
- Third Annual Exhibition at the Gallery of the Fine Art Institute, Artists' Fund Society, New York, 1862, no. 176
- Revolutionary Relics Exhibited at No. 56, Beacon Street, Ladies' Centennial Commission, Boston, 1875, no. 111
- Exhibition of Portraits Painted by Gilbert Stuart, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1880, no. 207
- Loan Exhibition of Early American Portraits, The Boston Art Club, Massachusetts, 1911, no. 45
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1921, 1926-1931, 1936-1943, 1946-1959 (on loan)
- Loan Exhibition of Early American Furniture and the Decorative Crafts for the Benefit of Free Hospital for Women, Brookline, Mass., Park Square Building, Boston, 1925, no. 344
- Gilbert Stuart Memorial Exhibition, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1928, no.43
- George Washington Bicentennial Historical Loan Exhibition of Portraits of George Washington and his Associates, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1932, no. 80
- The Thomas Jefferson Bicentennial Exhibition: 1743-1943, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1943, no. 27
- Presidential Portraits, National Portrait Gallery, Washington, D.C., 1968, no. 10, repro.
- Gilbert Stuart: Painter of Presidents, Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse, New York, 1975-1976, no cat.
- Zeichen der Freiheit: Das Bild der Republik in der Kunst des 16. bis 20. Jahrhunderts [Emblems of Liberty: The Image of the Republic in the Art of the 16th to the 20th Century], Kunstmuseum, Bern, Switzerland, 1991, no. 324d, repro.
- Barratt, Carrie Rebora, and Ellen G. Miles. Gilbert Stuart. Exh. cat. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. (for the National Portrait Gallery). New York, New Haven, and London, 2004: 276, 313, fig. 154.
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|