Winslow Homer (artist)|
American, 1836 - 1910
Breezing Up (A Fair Wind), 1873-1876
oil on canvas
overall: 61.5 x 97 cm (24 3/16 x 38 3/16 in.) framed: 90.5 x 126.4 cm (35 5/8 x 49 3/4 in.)
Gift of the W. L. and May T. Mellon Foundation
Object 6 of 8
- Annual Exhibition, National Academy of Design, New York, 1876, no. 194, as A Fair Wind.
- Kurtz Art Gallery, New York, 1877, no cat., as A Fair Wind.
- Exhibition of Oil Paintings, The Union League Club, New York, 1887, no. 33, as Breezing Up.
- Winslow Homer Centenary Exhibition, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 1936-1937, 22, no. 14, as Breezing Up, or A Fair Wind.
- American Painting from the Eighteenth Century to the Present, Tate Gallery, London, 1946, no. 105.
- 40 Masterpieces: A Loan Exhibition of Paintings from American Museums, City Art Museum of St. Louis, 1947, no. 24, repro., as Breezing Up.
- A Loan Exhibition of Winslow Homer, Wildenstein & Company, New York, 1947, no. 20, as A Fair Wind or Breezing Up.
- Homer, Eakins, Ryder, Inness and their French Contemporaries: A Loan Exhibition of Famous Paintings from Foremost American Museums and Collectors, Fort Worth Art Association, Texas, 1949, no. 18, frontispiece, as Breezing Up.
- Winslow Homer: A Retrospective Exhibition, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1958-1959, 114, no. 37.
- A Retrospective Exhibition: Winslow Homer, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1959, 95, no. 33, as Breezing Up.
- Troies Millenaires d'Art et de Marine, Petit Palais, Paris, 1965, no. 18.
- Paintings by American Masters: Fifth Anniversary Exhibition, Kalamazoo Art Center, Michigan, 1966, 10, as Breezing Up.
- Interpex Exhibition, New York, 1967, no cat.
- Winslow Homer, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; Los Angeles County Museum of Art; The Art Institute of Chicago, 1973, 35, no. 35, as Breezing Up or A Fair Wind.
- American Marine Painting, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond; The Mariners Museum, Newport News, Virginia, 1976, 97, no. 44, as Breezing Up.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Cleveland Museum of Art, 1980.
- Winslow Homer, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1995-1996, no. 76, repro.
- A Fair Wind: Maritime Paintings by Winslow Homer, Chrysler Museum of Art, Norfolk, 2000, unnumbered brochure, repro.
- Winslow Homer and the Critics: Forging a National Art in the 1870s, The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City; Los Angeles County Museum of Art; High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 2001-2002, unnumbered catalogue, fig. 76.
- Winslow Homer in the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2005-2006, unnumbered brochure, fig. 3.
- American Stories: Paintings of Everyday Life 1765-1915, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 2009-2010, unnumbered catalogue, fig. 10.
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|