John Singer Sargent (artist)|
American, 1856 - 1925
Street in Venice, 1882
oil on wood
overall: 45.1 x 53.9 cm (17 3/4 x 21 1/4 in.) framed: 65.4 x 76.2 x 6.4 cm (25 3/4 x 30 x 2 1/2 in.)
Gift of the Avalon Foundation
Object 2 of 7
- Société Internationale des Peintres et Sculpteurs, Première Exposition, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 1882-1883, no. 99, as Une Rue à Venise.
- John Singer Sargent's Paintings, St. Botolph Club, Boston, January 1888, no cat.
- Sixty-third Annual Exhibition, National Academy of Design, New York, April-May 1888, no. 213, as Venetian Street.
- New York Columbian Celebration of the Four Hundredth Anniversary of the Discovery of America. Catalogue of the Loan Exhibition. National Academy of Design, New York, October 1892, no. 3, as Venice.
- Retrospective Exhibition, Society of American Artists, New York, December 1892, no. 276, as Venetian Scene.
- Sargent Loan Exhibition, Paintings and Sketches by John S. Sargent, The Copley Society of Boston, Copley Hall, Boston, 1899, no. 36.
- Exhibition of Fine Arts, Pan-American Exposition, Buffalo, 1901, no. 30.
- Exhibition of Paintings and Drawings by John Singer Sargent for the Benefit of the American Ambulance Hospital in Paris, The Copley Gallery, Boston, 1917, no. 9, as Venice.
- Retrospective Exhibition of Important Works of John Singer Sargent, Grand Central Art Galleries, New York, 1924, no. 39.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Works of the Late John Singer Sargent, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1925, no. 71.
- Memorial Exhibition of the Work of John Singer Sargent, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1926, no. 13, repro.
- A Century of Centurion Art, The Century Club, New York, 1947, unnumbered checklist.
- The American Tradition 1800-1900, National Academy of Design, New York, 1951, no. 125.
- The Private World of John Singer Sargent, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Cleveland Museum of Art; Worcester Art Museum; Munson-Williams-Proctor Institute, Utica, 1964-1965, no. 16.
- In Memoriam, Ailsa Mellon Bruce, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1969, unnumbered checklist.
- Uncanny Spectacle: The Public Career of the Young John Singer Sargent, Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, Massachusetts, 1997, no. 18, repro.
- John Singer Sargent, Tate Gallery, London; National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1998-1999, not in cat. (shown only in Washington).
- Rave Reviews: American Art and Its Critics, 1826-1925, National Academy of Design, New York; Gilcrease Museum, Tulsa; Indianapolis Museum of Art, 2000-2001, no. 51, repro. (shown only in New York).
- Sargent's Women, Adelson Galleries, Inc., New York, 2003, no. 17, repro.
- Whistler and His Circle in Venice, The Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; The Grolier Club, New York, 2003, no. 87, repro. (shown only in Washington).
- Sargent's Venice, Adelson Galleries, Inc., New York; Museo Correr, Venice, 2007, no. 47, repro.
- Venice: From Canaletto and Turner to Monet, Fondation Beyeler, Basel, 2008-2009, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|