James McNeill Whistler (artist)|
American, 1834 - 1903
oil on canvas
overall: 72 x 101.8 cm (28 3/8 x 40 1/16 in.) framed: 92.1 x 123.5 x 7.6 cm (36 1/4 x 48 5/8 x 3 in.)
John Hay Whitney Collection
Not on View
Object 5 of 7
- 96th Exhibition of the Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1864, no. 585.
- Artists' Fund Exhibition, New York, 1866, no. 360, as On the Thames.
- Possibly 85th Exhibition, Oeuvres de peinture, sculpture, architecture, gravure et lithographie des artists vivants, Palais des Champs-Elysées (The Salon), Paris, 1867, as Sur la Tamise, l'hiver.
- Universal Exhibition, U.S.A. Section, Paris, 1867, two catalogues: no. 76, as Wapping or On the Thames, and no. 69, as Wapping, On the Thames.
- Charity Art Exhibition, Academy of Music, Baltimore, 1876, no. 39.
- Inaugural Exhibition, Baltimore Museum of Art, 1923, no. 242.
- American Painting and Sculpture, 1862-1932, Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1932-1933, no. 114, as Wapping Docks, London.
- Trois Siècles d'Art aux Etats-Unis, Musée du Jeu de Paume, Paris, 1938, no. 174, pl. 11, as Wapping on Thames.
- Paintings of London, Paris, M. Knoedler and Co., Inc., New York, 1940, no. 22, as Wapping-on-Thames.
- James McNeill Whistler, Lyman Allyn Museum, New London, Connecticut, 1949, no. 28, repro., as Wapping on Thames.
- Sargent, Whistler and Mary Cassatt, Art Institute of Chicago; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1954, no. 93, repro., as Wapping on Thames.
- Pictures Collected by Yale Alumni, Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, Connecticut, 1956, no. 70, repro., as Wapping on Thames.
- James McNeill Whistler: An Exhibition of Paintings and Other Works, Organized by the Arts Council of Great Britain and the English-Speaking Union of the United States, The Arts Council Gallery, London; M. Knoedler & Co., Inc., New York, 1960, no. 5.
- The John Hay Whitney Collection, Tate Gallery, London, 1960-1961, no. 65, as Wapping on Thames.
- Art of the United States: 1670-1966, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 1966, no. 293, repro., as Wapping on Thames.
- American Art from Alumni Collections, Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, Connecticut, 1968, no. 112, repro., as Wapping on Thames.
- From Realism to Symbolism: Whistler and His World, Wildenstein Gallery, New York; Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1971, no. 10, repro.
- London and the Thames: Paintings of Three Centuries, National Maritime Museum for the Department of Environment, Somerset House, London, 1977, no. 63, repro.
- The John Hay Whitney Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1983, no. 73, repro., as Wapping on Thames.
- The Image of London: Views by Travelers and Emigrés 1550-1920, Barbican Art Gallery, London, 1987, no. 155, fig. 16.
- James McNeill Whistler, Tate Gallery, London; Musée d'Orsay, Paris; National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1994-1995, no. 33, repro.
- The Victorians: British Painting in the Reign of Queen Victoria, 1837-1901, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1997, no. 27, color repro.
- Gifts to the Nation from Mr. and Mrs. John Hay Whitney, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1998-1999, no cat.
- Great British Paintings from American Collections: Holbein to Hockney, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven; The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens, San Marino, 2001-2002, no. 60, repro.
- Turner, Whistler, Monet, Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto; Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris; Tate Britain, London, 2004-2005, no. 26, repro.
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|