John Sloan (artist)|
American, 1871 - 1951
The City from Greenwich Village, 1922
oil on canvas
overall: 66 x 85.7 cm (26 x 33 3/4 in.)
Gift of Helen Farr Sloan
Object 4 of 4
- Sixth Annual Exhibition of The Society of Independent Artists, Waldorf Astoria, New York, 1922, no. 701.
- Twenty-First Annual International Exhibition of Paintings, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 1922, no. 108, as The City, from Greenwich.
- Baltimore Charcoal Club, 1923.
- Detroit Institute of Art, 1924, no. 30.
- Pan-American Exhibition, Los Angeles Museum, 1925.
- The Thirty-Eighth Annual Exhibition of American Paintings and Sculpture, Art Institute of Chicago, 1925, no. 200, as New York from Greenwich Village.
- Sesqui-Centennial International Exposition, Department of Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 1926, no. 280.
- The Tenth Biennial Exhibition of Contemporary American Oil Paintings, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1926, no. 259, as The City from Greenwich.
- John Sloan, Montross Gallery, New York, 1934, no. 14.
- John Sloan: Retrospective Exhibition, Addison Gallery of American Art, Phillips Academy, Andover, Massachusetts, 1938, no. 18, repro.
- 46th Annual Exhibition, Nebraska Art Association, Lincoln, 1939, no. 39.
- The Forty-Sixth Annual Exhibition of American Art, Cincinnati Art Museum, 1939.
- John Sloan, Art Department, University of Missouri, Columbia, 1940.
- Oil Paintings by John Sloan, Currier Gallery of Art, Manchester, New Hampshire, 1940.
- Development of an American Style, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1941.
- Fort Worth Art Association, 1941.
- Living American Painters, John Herron Art Museum, Indianapolis, 1943, no. 53.
- Romantic Painting in America, travelling exhibition organized by the Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1943-1945, no. 184, repro.
- Artists of the Press, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1945, no. 63.
- John Sloan: Painting and Prints. Seventy-Fifth Anniversary Retrospective, Carpenter Galleries, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, 1946, no. 12.
- John Sloan Paintings, Dayton Art Institute, 1948.
- John Sloan: Retrospective Exhibition, Kraushaar Galleries, New York, no. 20, repro.
- The Turn of the Century: American Artists 1890-1920, Des Moines Art Center, 1949, unnumbered catalogue.
- John Sloan 1871-1951, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, Corcoran Gallery, Washington, D.C.; Toledo Museum of Art, Ohio, 1952, no. 52, repro.
- Oil Paintings by John Sloan, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, November-December 1961, no. 7.
- The Life and Times of John Sloan, Delaware Art Center, Wilmington, 1961, no. 29, repro.
- The Art of John Sloan 1871-1951, Walker Art Museum, Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine, 1962, no. 46, repro.
- John Sloan 1871-1951, Natl. Gal. of Art, Washington, D.C.; Georgia Mus. of Art, Athens; M.H. DeYoung Mem. Mus., San Francisco; City Art Mus. of St. Louis; Columbus Gal. of Fine Arts, Ohio; Penn. Acad. of the Fine Arts, Phil., 1971-1972, no. 135, repro.
- John Sloan: Paintings, Prints, Drawings,travelling exhibition organized by Hood Museum of Art, Dartmouth College, Hanover, 6 venues, 1981-1983, no. 13, repro. (shown only in Hanover).
- The Railroad in the American Landscape: 1850-1950, Wellesley College Museum, Wellesley, Massachusetts, 1981, no. 53, repro.
- Japanese Artists Who Studied in U.S.A. and The American Scene, National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo; National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto, 1982, no. 78, color repro.
- Museo de los Museos: arte universal a través de los tiempos, Museo del Palacio de Bellas Artes, Mexico City, 1984, no. 42, repro.
- Night Lights: 19th and 20th Century American Nocturne Paintings, The Taft Museum, Cincinnati, 1985, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- John Sloan: Spectator of Life, IBM Gallery of Science and Art, New York; Delaware Art Museum, Wilmington; Columbus Museum of Art, Ohio; Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth, 1988, no. 97, repro.
- Seeing the City: Sloan's New York, Delaware Art Museum, Wilmington; Westmoreland Museum of American Art, Greensburg, Pennsylvania; David and Alfred Smart Museum of Art, University of Chicago; Reynolda House, Museum of American Art, Winston-Salem, 2007-2009, unnumbered catalogue, fig. 52.
|«||back to gallery|