Camille Pissarro (artist)|
French, 1830 - 1903
Place du Carrousel, Paris, 1900
oil on canvas
overall: 54.9 x 65.4 cm (21 5/8 x 25 3/4 in.) framed: 79.7 x 89.5 x 10.1 cm (31 3/8 x 35 1/4 x 4 in.)
Ailsa Mellon Bruce Collection
Not on View
Object 1 of 8
By inheritance from the artist [1830-1903] to his wife, Mme. Camille [Julie] Pissarro; (Pissarro sale, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 3 December 1928, no. 44); purchased by Van Riel. Bruno Stahl [1892-1958], Berlin; sold 5 January 1949 to (Wildenstein & Co., London, New York and Paris); sold 30 March 1949 to Ailsa Mellon Bruce [1901-1969], New York; bequest 1970 to NGA.
 According to annotated sales catalogues, copies in NGA curatorial records.
 This painting was confiscated by the ERR in France during World War II, with other objects from the Stahl collection that were stored in a bank vault with objects from the Wildenstein collection (ERR card UNB331, as Ansicht des Louvres, Paris. National Archives RG260/Property Division/Box 22, copy in NGA curatorial files). It was transferred to the Jeu de Paume and taken by Hermann Goering on 17 March 1941, as Louvreansicht, (No. 20 on the Nachtrag zur Liste v. 20.10.42 der für die Sammlung des Reichsmarschalls Hermann Göring abgegebenen Kunstgegenstände dated 9 April 1943 in OSS Consolidated Interrogation Report #2, The Goering Collection, Attachment 5, National Archives RG239/Entry 75/Box 85, copy in NGA curatorial files). Goering traded the picture to Gustave Rochlitz in exchange for a Raffaellino del Garbo and a Wouters (OSS Consolidated Interrogation Report #1, Activities of the Einsatzstab Reichsleiter Rosenberg, p. 30, National Archives RG239/Entry 75/Box 85, copy in NGA curatorial files). The painting remained with Rochlitz, in whose possession it was found after the war (Detailed Interrrogation Report #4, Gustave Rochlitz, p. 9, National Archives RG239/Entry 74/Box 84, copy in NGA curatorial files). The painting was restituted to France on 27 March 1946 (Munich property card #8040/6; French Receipt for Cultural Objects no. 5A, item no. 289, copies in NGA curatorial files). It was exhibited in 1946 in Les Chefs-d'oeuvre des collections privées françaises retrouvés en Allemagne par la Commission de Récuperation artistique et les Services alliés, no. 33. It was restituted to Wildenstein, from whose vault it had been removed, on 24 October 1947, and returned to Stahl that same year. Stahl sold the picture to Wildenstein on 5 January 1949.
 See letter from Wildenstein dated 31 January 2001 in NGA curatorial files.
 Bill of sale from Wildenstein dated 30 March 1949, in NGA curatorial files.
- Bruce, Ailsa Mellon, Mrs.
- Galerie Georges Petit
- Goering, Hermann, Reichsmarschall
- Munich Central Collecting Point
- Pissarro, Camille, Mme
- Rochlitz, Gustav
- Stahl, Bruno
- Wildenstein & Co., Inc.
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|