Edouard Manet (artist)|
French, 1832 - 1883
The Railway, 1873
oil on canvas
overall: 93.3 x 111.5 cm (36 3/4 x 43 7/8 in.) framed: 113 x 132.7 x 5.4 cm (44 1/2 x 52 1/4 x 2 1/8 in.)
Gift of Horace Havemeyer in memory of his mother, Louisine W. Havemeyer
Not on View
Object 1 of 8
- Salon of 1874, Paris, no. 1260.
- Exposition des Oeuvres de Edouard Manet, Ecole Nationale des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1884, no. 68, as Le chemin de fer.
- Exposition of Paintings by Edouard Manet, Durand-Ruel Galleries, New York, 1895, no. 25.
- Loan Exhibition: paintings by Edouard Manet, Durand-Ruel Galleries, New York, 26 November - 13 December 1913, no. 12 as Gare St. Lazare.
- A Century of Progress Exhibition of Paintings and Sculpture, The Art Institute of Chicago, 1933, no. 333, repro.
- Independent Painters of Nineteenth Century Paris, Museum of Fine Arts, Paris, 1935, no. 29, repro.
- A Survey of French Painting, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 1936, no. 6, repro.
- The Twentieth Anniversary Exhibition of the Cleveland Museum of Art: The Official Art Exhibit of the Great Lakes Exposition, Cleveland Museum of Art, 1936, no. 288, repro.
- The Precursors of Modern Art, Rochester Memorial Art Gallery, 1938, no. 16, repro.
- An Exhibition of Great Paintings in Aid of the Canadian Red Cross and of Small Pictures by Members of the Ontario Society of Artists, Art Gallery of Toronto, 1940, no. 95.
- Exhibition of Paintings for the Benefit of The American Friends of France: The Four Great Impressionists: Cezanne, Degas, Renoir, Manet, Durand-Ruel Galleries, New York, 1940, no. 15, repro.
- Masterpieces of Art. European & American Paintings 1500-1900, New York World's Fair, May-October 1940, no. 280, repro.
- Diamond Jubilee Exhibition, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1951, no. 67, repro.
- Manet and Modern Paris, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1982-1983, no. 10, repro.
- Manet, Grand Palais, Paris; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1983, no. 133, repro.
- Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art, Washington, State Hermitage Museum, Leningrad; State Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, Moscow, 1986, no. 14, repro.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga, Lisbon, 1991.
- Splendid Legacy: The Havemeyer Collection, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1993, no. 356, pl. 29.
- Paris in 1874: The Year of Impressionism, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 1994, no. 78, repro., as Le Chemin de fer.
- Manet, Monet, and the Gare Saint-Lazare, Musée d'Orsay, Paris; National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1998, no. 21, fig. 1.
- Manet en el Prado, Museo Nacional del Prado, Madrid, 2003-2004, no. 91, repro.
- The Railway: Art in the Age of Steam, Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool; The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City, 2008-2009, no. 57, repro.
- Bilder einer Metropole: Die Impressionisten in Paris [Images of a Capital - The Impressionists in Paris], Museum Folkwang, Essen, 2010-2011, no. 44, repro.
- Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art, The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; The National Art Center, Tokyo; Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art, 2011, no. 27, repro.
- Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity, Musée d'Orsay, Paris; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Art Institute of Chicago, 2012-2013, no. 82, repro. (shown only in Chicago).
- Manet: Portraying Life, Toledo Museum of Art, Royal Academy of Art, London, 2012-2013, no. 53, repro.
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|