Edgar Degas (artist)|
French, 1834 - 1917
Woman Viewed from Behind (Visit to a Museum), c. 1879-1885
oil on canvas
overall: 81.3 x 75.6 cm (32 x 29 3/4 in.) framed: 114.3 x 107.9 x 11.1 cm (45 x 42 1/2 x 4 3/8 in.)
Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon
Not on View
Object 3 of 7
- Degas dans les collections françaises, Gazette des Beaux-Arts, Paris, 1955, no. 73, as La visite au musée.
- Edgar Degas 1834-1917, Durand-Ruel, Paris, 1960, no. 19, repro., as La visite au musée.
- Degas, Virginia Museum, Richmond, 1978, no. 10, as Woman Seen from Behind (The Visit to the Museum).
- 19th and 20th Century French Painting from the Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 1979 (long term exhibition), checklist no. 24.
- Gifts to the Nation: Selected Acquisitions from the Collections of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1986, unnumbered checklist.
- Degas, Grand Palais, Paris; National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1988-1989.
- Degas -- Portraits, Kunsthaus Zürich, 1994-1995, no. 172, repro., as Visiting the museum.
- Loan to display with permanent collection, The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, 1998.
- An Enduring Legacy: Masterpieces from the Collection of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1999-2000, no cat.
- Impression: Painting Quickly in France, 1860-1890, National Gallery, London; Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam; Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, 2000-2001, fig. 149 (shown only in Williamstown).
- Degas and the Italians in Paris, Exhibit Halls, Palazzo dei Diamanti, Ferrara; Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh, 2003-2004, not in cat. (shown only in Edinburgh).
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|