Edouard Manet (artist)|
French, 1832 - 1883
The Tragic Actor (Rouvière as Hamlet), 1866
oil on canvas
overall: 187.2 x 108.1 cm (73 11/16 x 42 9/16 in.) framed: 216.6 x 138.4 cm (85 1/4 x 54 1/2 in.)
Gift of Edith Stuyvesant Gerry
Object 6 of 8
- Tableaux de Edouard Manet, Avenue de l'Alma, Paris, 1867, no. 18.
- Foreign Exhibition, Art Department, Boston, 1883, no. 67.
- Exhibition of Paintings by Edouard Manet, Durand-Ruel Galleries, New York, 1895, no. 13.
- Loan to display with permanent collection, National Gallery of Art of the Smithsonian Institution's U.S. National Museum, Washington, D.C., 1915-1916 (this National Gallery of Art became the National Collection of Fine Arts, then the National Museum of American Art, then the Smithsonian American Art Museum).
- Loan Exhibition of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Paintings, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1921, no. 59.
- Exhibition of Paintings: Edouard Manet, Pierre Renoir, Berthe Morisot, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 1924, no. 10.
- Manet and Modern Paris, National Gallery of Art, 1982-1983, no. 27, repro.
- Manet, Grand Palais, Paris; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1983, no. 89, repro.
- A Magic Mirror: The Portrait in France 1700-1900, The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, 1986-1987, no. 35, repro.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, The Brooklyn Museum of Art, 1998.
- Around Impressionism: French Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1999, no catalogue.
- Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art, Washington, Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art; Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, 1999, no. 15, repro.
- Manet en el Prado, Museo Nacional del Prado, Madrid, 2003-2004, no.67, repro.
- Manet/Velazquez : The French Taste for Spanish Painting, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York and Musée d'Orsay, Paris, 2003
- The Tragic Muse: Art and Emotion, 1700-1900, David and Alfred Smart Museum of Art, University of Chicago, 2011, no. 17, fig. 9.
- Manet: Portraying Life, Toledo Museum of Art, Royal Academy of Art, London, 2012-2013, no. 33, repro.
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|