Joshua Johnson (artist)|
American, born c. 1763, active 1796 - 1824
The Westwood Children, c. 1807
oil on canvas
overall: 104.5 x 117 cm (41 1/8 x 46 1/16 in.)
Gift of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch
Not on View
Object 20 of 22
- An Exhibition of Portraits by Joshua Johnson, The Peale Museum, Baltimore, 1948, no. 14, (cat. by J. Hall Pleasants).
- American Primitive Paintings from the Collection of Edgar William and Bernice Chrysler Garbisch, Part II, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1957, no. 30.
- The Charm of Youth, traveling exhibition organized by the American Federation of Arts, New York, 1958, no cat. known.
- American Painters of the South, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1960, no. 47.
- Exhibition of Early American Art, Academy of the Arts, Talbot County Historical Society, Easton, Maryland, 1962, no. 33.
- Ten Afro-American Artists of the 19th Century, Howard University, Washington, 1967, 10, (cat. by James A. Porter).
- Dimensions of Black, La Jolla Museum of Art, California, 1970, no. 163.
- Twenty-five Folk Artists: Their Lives and Work, Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1971, no cat.
- American Primitive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Holland Union, Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, 1973, exhibition guide (copy not located).
- The World of Franklin and Jefferson, traveling exhibition circulated by the American Revolution Bicentennial Administration, 6 venues (Paris, Warsaw, London, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles), 1975-1977, not included in cat.
- The American Folk Art Tradition: Paintings from the Garbisch Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1978.
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, Terra Museum of American Art, Evanston, Illinois, 1981-1982, no. 10, color repro. (cat. by Ronald McKnight Melvin).
- American Naive Paintings from the National Gallery of Art, traveling exh. by the International Exhibitions Foundation, Washington, 1985-1987, no. 41, color repro., detail p. 25. First venue: Museum of American Folk Art, New York.
- Joshua Johnson: Freeman and Early American Portrait Painter, Maryland Historical Society, Baltimore; Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Center, Williamsburg, 1987-1988, no. 45, color repro. (not shown at two Whitney Museum venues, NY and Stamford, CT).
- La Nascita di Una Nazione: Pittori americani dalla National Gallery of Art di Washington 1730-1880, Palazzo Pepoli Campogrande, Bologna; Galleria Internazionale d'Arte Moderna di Ca'Pesaro, Venice, 1988-1989, no. 41, repro.
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|