Rendered by Edward Jewett (artist), c. 1940
watercolor, colored pencil, pen and ink, and graphite on paper
overall: 35.5 x 24.5 cm (14 x 9 5/8 in.) Original IAD Object: 1"-1'
Index of American Design
Not on View
Object 2 of 25
This window from the Mission of Santa Barbara is located in the sanctuary of the church. Executed in tempera paint on plaster, the graceful floral design around the window reflects a distinctly European inspiration, in contrast to the native character of some mission painting. The painting was possibly designed by a padre, or, more probably, by a layman decorator engaged for the work. In either case, the designer would have been assisted in painting by an Indian apprentice. Originally done in about 1820, this painting was restored after the earthquake of 1925.
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|