Spanish 14th Century (artist)|
Ciborium, c. 1330/1350
gilded copper and champlevé enamel
overall (height): 36.1 cm (14 3/16 in.) overall (diameter of base): 17.7 cm (6 15/16 in.) overall (diameter of bowl): 12.1 cm (4 3/4 in.)
Not on View
Object 7 of 8
Reportedly Poblet Abbey, Catalonia, Spain. Purchased from an unknown source by Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, as French (Limoges), fourteenth century; inheritance from Estate of Peter A.B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, after purchase by funds of the Estate; gift 1942 to NGA.
 Poblet is a Cistercian abbey in the archdiocese of Tarragona in northeastern Spain. Founded in the twelfth century, the abbey became the burial place of Spanish kings. If this ciborium was at Poblet, it probably left in 1835, when the monks departed and the abbey was sacked during the First Carlist War. See Joaquin Guitert y Fontseré, Real Monasterio de Poblet, 3d ed., Barcelona, 1929: 338-341 and Jaime Finestres y de Monsalvo, Historia del Real Monasterio de Poblet, 5 vols., Barcelona, 1947-1955.
|«||back to gallery||»||continue tour|