by later hand, center verso in graphite: 90; by later hand, lower center verso in graphite: D29883(2)C1=0
Marks and Labels
various modern graphite inscriptions on verso
Charles Gasc [1818-1869], Paris (Lugt 543); Charles Molinier, Toulouse [1845-1910] (Lugt 2917); Tolentini; André de Hevesy, Paris (exh. Matthiesen Ltd., London, Feb.-April 1939, no. 93); Edward Holland-Martin, Esq. (sale, Christie's, London, 20 May 1966, no. 104, as School of Giovanni Bellini); (sale, Christie's, London, 22 November 1966, no. 133, as School of Giovanni Bellini); (P. & D. Colnaghi, London, 1966, no. 3); Denys Sutton [1917-1991], London, and by descent (sale, Christie's, New York, 30 January 1997 no. 2); purchased (via Colnaghi Drawings, London) by NGA, 1997.
- Exhibition of Venetian Paintings and Drawings Held in Aid of Lord Baldwin's Fund for Refugees, Matthiesen, Ltd., London, 1939, no. 93 (as Sebastiano del Piombo).
- Old Master and English Drawings, P. & D. Colnaghi, London, 1969, no. 3 (Venetian School, late fifteenth century).
- The Poetry of Light - La poesia della luce: Venetian Drawings from the National Gallery of Art, Museo Correr, Venice, Venice, 2014 - 2015, no. 2.
- Dussler, Luitpold. Sebastiano del Piombo. Basel, 1942: 197, no. 244 (as not by Sebastiano del Piombo).
- Tietze, Hans, and Erika Tietze-Conrat. The Drawings of the Venetian Painters in the 15th and 16th Centuries. New York, 1944: no. 350, pl. XXXIV (as School of Giovanni Bellini).
- Heinemann, Giovanni Bellini 1(1962): 76, no. 272; 2(1962): fig. 116; 3(1991): 84, no. 343.
- Heinemann, Fritz. Giovanni Bellini e i Belliniani, Vol. III. Supplemento e Ampliamenti. Hildesheim, 1991: 32, no. 343