No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Painted for the sitter's father, William Urquhart, 2nd Laird of Craigston, Craigston Castle, Turriff, Aberdeenshire [Scotland]; by descent to Captain Michael Bruce Pollard-Urquhart [1879-1940], Craigston Castle and Castle Pollard; (sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 20 December 1918, no. 144); bought by (Arthur J. Sulley & Co., London). (M. Knoedler & Co., London), probably from whose New York branch it was purchased 5 October 1920 by Andrew W. Mellon, Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C.; deeded December 1934 to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 160, no. 101.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 241, repro. 16.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Masterpieces of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1944: 136, color repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Mellon Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1949 (reprinted 1953 and 1958): 117, repro.
- Cooke, Hereward Lester. British Painting in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 1960 (Booklet Number Eight in Ten Schools of Painting in the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.): 20, color repro.
- The National Gallery of Art and Its Collections. Foreword by Perry B. Cott and notes by Otto Stelzer. National Gallery of Art, Washington (undated, 1960s): 24.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 224, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 106
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 2:360, color repro.
- Harris, Rose. Sir Henry Raeburn. The Masters series, no. 46. Paulton, near Bristol, 1966:5, 7, color pl. 6.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 94, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 276, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1975: no. 517, 367, color repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 366, no. 515, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 321, repro.
- Kopper, Philip. America's National Gallery of Art: A Gift to the Nation. New York, 1991: 60, 67, color repro.
- Hayes, John. British Paintings of the Sixteenth through Nineteenth Centuries. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1992: 196-199, color repro. 198.
- Hand, John Oliver. National Gallery of Art: Master Paintings from the Collection. Washington and New York, 2004: 277, no. 224, color repro.
The coarse, heavyweight canvas is twill woven; it has been lined. The ground is white or off-white, evenly applied and of moderate thickness. The painting is executed boldly and spontaneously, using a wide brush; the paint layers are thin and sketchy, leaving the weave of the canvas clearly visible, and only the sitter's head is brought to a higher finish. The painting is in excellent condition. Retouching is minimal. The synthetic varnish applied in 1980 has not discolored.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection