by a later hand, lower left: Rembrandt Peal[e]
Henry Ward Sill [1809-1857], New York; probably his sister, Sarah Hubbard Sill [1822-1897], Middletown, Connecticut; his daughter, Sophia Matilda Sill Burt [Mrs. Charles Richard Burt, 1842-1922], Hartford, Connecticut; her niece, Harriet Sill Baldwin Davison [Mrs. George W. Davison, 1873-1953], Greenwich, Connecticut; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Extended loan for use by The White House, Washington, D.C., 1945-1949.
- Extended loan for use by Blair House, Washington, D.C., 1949-1952.
- Extended loan for use by The White House, Washington, D.C., 1952-1961.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke. Exh. cat. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928, unnumbered.
- Morgan, John Hill, and Mantle Fielding. The Life Portraits of Washington and Their Replicas. Philadelphia, 1931: 370-381 (does not include NGA painting).
- Eisen, Gustavus A. Portraits of Washington. 3 vols. New York, 1932: 2:416-419 (does not discuss NGA painting).
- "George Washington 5-cent." Scott's Monthly Stamp Journal 47, no. 1 (March 1966): 34.
- Lidman, David. "Stamps: Washington Definitive." New York Times (16 January 1966): section 2: 30.
- McAlister, Clare. "Rembrandt Peale." Scott's Monthly Stamp Journal 47, no. 1 (March 1966): 35-36, repro.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 88, repro.
- Marzulla, Elena, ed. Pictorial Treasury of U.S. Stamps. Omaha, Nebraska, 1974: 144.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 206, repro.
- Williams, William James. A Heritage of American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1981: 105-106, repro. 106
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 375, no. 526, color repro.
- Hevner, Carol Eaton. Rembrandt Peale, 1778-1860: A Life in the Arts. With a biographical essay by Lillian B. Miller. Exh. cat. Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 1985: 88-89 (does not discuss NGA painting).
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 256, repro.
- Hevner, Carol Eaton. "The Paintings of Rembrandt Peale: Character and Conventions." In Miller, Lillian B. In Pursuit of Fame: Rembrandt Peale, 1778-1860. Exh. cat. National Portrait Gallery, Washington, D.C., 1992: 231-232, 280 (does not discuss NGA painting).
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 60-64, color repro.