The artist [1834-1917]; his heirs; Adrien-Aurélien Hébrard [1865-1937], Paris; his daughter, Nelly Hébrard [1904-1985], Paris; consigned 1955 to (M. Knoedler & Company, Inc., New York); purchased May 1956 by Paul Mellon, Upperville, Virginia; bequest 1999 to NGA.
- Edgar Degas 1834-1917: Original Wax Sculptures, M. Knoedler & Company, Inc., New York, 1955, no. 54, repro.
- Sculpture by Degas, Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond, 1956.
- Art for the Nation: Gifts in Honor of the 50th Anniversary of the National Gallery of Art, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1991, unnumbered catalogue, color repro.
- Pingeot, Anne. Degas Sculptures. Paris, 1991: no. 14.
- Campbell, Sara. "A Catalogue of Degas' Bronzes." Apollo 142 (August 1995): 10-48, no. 29.
- Lindsay, Suzanne Glover, Daphne S. Barbour, and Shelley G. Sturman. Edgar Degas Sculpture. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2010: no. 38, 234-238, color repro.