center left between face and top of barrel: Ch[ardin] / 17 (recorded in 1948 as: Chardin / 1738)
Possibly Jacques Augustin de Silvestre [1719-1809], Paris; possibly (his estate sale, F.L. Regnault-Delalande, Paris, 28 February - 25 March 1811, no. 13, paired with Return from Market); Laneuville. Godfrey von Preyer, Vienna. William Andrews Clark [1839-1925], New York; bequest 1926 to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington; acquired 2014 by the National Gallery of Art.
- The William A. Clark Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 1978.
- The William A. Clark Collection: Treasures of a Copper King, Yellowstone Art Center, Billings; Montana Historical Society, Helena, 1989, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Chardin 1699-1779, Galeries National du Grand Palais, Paris; Kunstmuseum am Ehrenhof, Dusseldorf; Royal Academy of Arts, London; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1999-2000, no. 53.
- Antiquities to Impressionism: The William A. Clark Collection, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001-2002, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- The Age of Watteau, Chardin, and Fragonard: Masterpieces of French Genre Painting, National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa; National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Altes Museum, Berlin, 2003-2004, no. 36, repro.
- Inspiring Impressionism: The Impressionists and the Art of the Past, Denver Art Museum, 2008, repro.
- Taking Time: Chardin's "Boy building a House of Cards" and other paintings, Waddesdon Manor, Buckinghamshire, 2012, no. 19, repro.
- Carroll, Dana H. Catalogue of Objects of Fine Art and Other Properties at the Home of William Andrews Clark, 962 Fifth Avenue. Part I. Unpublished manuscript, n.d. (1925): 191, no. 225.
- Corcoran Gallery of Art. Illustrated Handbook of The W.A. Clark Collection. Washington, 1932: repro. 24, 39, no. 2039, as Woman with Saucepan.