by artist, upper right in graphite: July 30; by artist, lower right in brown ink: C Varley 1803 Near Ross
By descent in the artist's family to Mrs. Fleetwood Walker, England; by descent to Mr. and Mrs. G. L. V. Walker, Birmingham, England; (P & D Colnaghi Co Ltd, 1973). (Spink-Leger, London, 2000); NGA purchase in 2000.
- Exhibition of Drawings and Watercolours by Cornelius Varley, P & D Colnaghi & Co. Ltd., London, 1973, no. 116, pl. 47.
- Feeling Through the Eye: The "New" Landscape in Britain, Spink-Leger, London, 2000, no. 81, as A lane near Ross, Herefordshire.
- The Artist's Vision: Romantic Traditions in Great Britain, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2006 - 2007
- Private Treasures: Four Centuries of European Master Drawings, The Morgan Library and Museum, New York, and National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2007
- Pidgley, Michael. "Cornelius Varley, Cotman and the Graphic Telescope." The Burlington Magazine 114, no. 836 (November 1972): 781, fig. 59.
- Klonk, Charlotte. Science and the Perception of Nature: British Landscape Art in the Late Eighteenth and Early Nineteenth Centuries. New Haven and London, 1996: 153, fig. 111.