No overview available.
lower left: WB inv; lower right on mount in copperplate hand: Revns: [ch th 14th?]; across top: The Devil is Come Down; across bottom: And ... Serpent.
Marks and Labels
Collection Butts. Collection Robson. Collection Newton. Lessing J. Rosenwald (Lugt Supp.1760b); gift 1943 to NGA.
- Six Centuries/Six Artists, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1997.
- The Apocalypse and the Shape of Things to Come, British Museum, London, 1999, p. 254 (no. 29).
- La peinture comme crime, Museé du Louvre, Paris, 2001-2002, 112-114, 346 n. 10, 358, no. 71.
- The Artist's Vision: Romantic Traditions in Great Britain, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2006 - 2007
- Mongan, Elizabeth. Selections from the Rosenwald Collection, National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1943: 101, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1956: 12-13, repro.
- Cooke, Hereward Lester. British Painting in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 1960 (Booklet Number Eight in Ten Schools of Painting in the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.): 36, color repro.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Treasures from the National Gallery of Art, New York, 1962: 138, color repro.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 2:362, color repro.
- Fine 1975, IV.A.13.
- Butlin, Martin. William Blake. Exh. cat. Tate Gallery, London, 1978: 187.
- Butlin, Martin. The Paintings and Drawings of William Blake. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1981.
- Fine 1982, 16-18c.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 677, no. 1086, color repro.
- National Gallery of Art, Washington. Washington, D.C., 1992: 322, repro.
- Studies in Romanticism 32, The Graduate School, Boston University, (Summer 1993): cover illustration.
- World Tour (A review of worldwide business and technology news published by Dun and Bradstreet software), 3(January-March 1993).
- Woodard, Russell Main. Revelation--A Spiritual Study. Silver Spring, 1996: repro.
- Denny, Don. "Apocalypse." In Encyclopedia of Comparative Iconography: Themes Depicted in Works of Art. Edited by Helene E. Roberts. 2 vols. Chicago, 1998: 2:43
- Smith, Elise Lawton. Evelyn Pickering De Morgan and the Allegorical Body. Madison, 2002: fig. 76.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection