upper center on headdress is the Sforza motto: MERITO ET TEMPORE (With merit and time)
Private collection, England; purchased summer 1888 by Dr. Friedrich Lippmann [1838-1903], Berlin; by inheritance to his son, Friedrich Lippmann, Berlin; acquired 1904 on joint account by (Durlacher Brothers, New York) and (P & D Colnaghi's, London and New York); sold 1904 to (Eugène Fischhof, Paris and New York); acquired 1904 from or through (Fischhof) by Peter A.B. Widener, Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; inheritance from Estate of Peter A.B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Pictures by Masters of the Milanese and Allied Schools of Lombardy, Burlington Fine Arts Club, London, 1898, no. 51.
- Leonardo da Vinci: Painter at the Court of Milan, The National Gallery, London, 2011-2012, no. 8, repro.
- Mattia Corvino e Firenze: Arte e Umanesimo alla Corte del Re di Ungheria [Matthias Corvinus and Florence: Art and Humanism in the court of the King of Hungary], Museo di San Marco, Florence, 2013-2014, no. 92, repro.
- Berenson, Bernard, and William Roberts. Pictures in the Collection of P.A.B. Widener at Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania: Early Italian and Spanish Schools. Philadelphia, 1916: unpaginated, repro.
- Paintings in the Collection of Joseph Widener at Lynnewood Hall. Intro. by Wilhelm R. Valentiner. Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, 1923: unpaginated, repro.
- Paintings in the Collection of Joseph Widener at Lynnewood Hall. Intro. by Wilhelm R. Valentiner. Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, 1931: 144, repro.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 6.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Widener Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1948 (reprinted 1959): 13, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Comparisons in Art: A Companion to the National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC. London, 1957 (reprinted 1959): pl. 65
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 301, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 105.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 93, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 274, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:380-382, II:pl. 275
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 112, no. 85, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 319, repro.
- Venturelli, Paola. Leonardo da Vinci e le arti preziose: Milano tra XV e XVI secolo. Venice, 2002: 165-170, especially 166 and 168, fig. 45.
- Boskovits, Miklós, and David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 2003: 596-601, color repro.