lower left in plate: Josh. Wright Pinxt.; lower center in plate: J Boydell Exct.; lower right in plate: Wm. Pether fecit 1768;by later hand, verso in graphite: lr. exhibited Tate 1990 no. 1 / p44130; by later hand, lower center verso in graphite: 731
Christopher Lennox-Boyd; (C. G. Boerner Limited, New York); purchased 2001 by NGA.
- Joseph Wright of Derby: 1734 - 1797, Tate Gallery, London, Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, no. 1.
- Six Centuries of Prints and Drawings: Recent Acquisitions, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2004 - 2005
- Smith, John Chaloner. British mezzotinto portraits, being a descriptive catalogue of these engravings from the introduction of the art to the early part of the present century. 4 vols. London: Henry Sotheran and Co., 1884.
- Russell, Charles Edward. English Mezzotint Portraits and Their States. 2 vols. London: Halton and Truscott Smith, Ltd., 1926.
- Clayton, Tim. "Catalogue of Engraved Works," in Wright of Derby. London, 1990: 231-258.
- C. G. Boerner Ltd. Mezzotints from the Collection of Christopher Lennox-Boyd. London, 2001: no. 16.