Marks and Labels
Giuseppe Toscanelli [1828-1891], Pontedera and Pisa; (Toscanelli sale, Sambon, Florence, 23 April 1883, no. 137, as by Gentile da Fabriano); Sir William Neville Abdy, 2nd bt. [1844-1910], The Elms, Newdigate, Dorking; by inheritance to his daughter, Florence, Lady Abdy [d. 1922], Dorking and London; (her sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 5 May 1911, no. 139, as by Gentile da Fabriano); (Wallis & Son, London). (Charles Sedelmeyer, Paris), by 1913; sold August 1919 to (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); on approval to Carl W. Hamilton [1886-1967], New York, by 1920, and returned 1921; purchased 15 December 1936 by The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
- Exposition de tableaux, statues et objets d'art au profit de l'oeuvre des Orphelins d'Alsace-Lorraine, Salle des Etats du Louvre, Paris, 1885, no. 180, as by Gentile da Fabriano.
- Exhibition of Italian Renaissance Art, Wadsworth Atheneum and Morgan Memorial, Hartford, 1932, no. 15.
- Italian Paintings of the XIV to XVI Century, Detroit Institute of Arts, 1933, no. 59, as by Matteo di Giovanni, repro.
- Duveen Brothers. Duveen Pictures in Public Collections in America. New York, 1941: no. 95, repro., as by Matteo di Giovanni.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 24, no. 10.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 239, repro. 72.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Mellon Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1949 (reprinted 1953 and 1958): 17, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 300, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 14
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 7, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 26, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:64-65, II:pl. 38
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 82, no. 36, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 45, repro.
- Boskovits, Miklós, David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 2003: 107-111, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection