No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Purchased 1846 in Italy by Eugène Piot [1812-1890], Paris; sold 26 April 1864 to Paul van Cuyck, Paris. Louis-Charles Timbal [1821-1880], Paris; sold 1872 with his collection to Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 with the entire Dreyfus collection by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); purchased 15 December 1936 by The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
- Italian Sculptures from the Dreyfus Collection, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1932.
- Exposition de L'Art Italien de Cimabue a Tiepolo, Musèe du Petit Palais, Paris, 1935, no. 1038.
- Desiderio da Settignano: Sculptor of Renaissance Florence, Musée du Louvre, Paris; Museo Nazionale del Bargello, Florence; National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2006-2007, no. 11, repro.
- Vitry, Paul. "La collection de M. Gustave Dreyfus: I. - La Sculpture." Les Arts 72 (December 1907): repro. 3, 4, 6, 8, 10.
- Cortissoz, Royal. An Introduction to the Mellon Collection. Boston, 1937: repro. opposite page 25.
- Jewell, Edward Alden. "Mellon's Gift." Magazine of Art 30, no. 2 (February 1937): 79, 83, repro.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 221, no. A-2, pl. XV.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 253, repro. 227, as Bust of a Little Boy.
- Duveen Brothers, Inc. Duveen Sculpture in Public Collections of America: A Catalog Raisonné with illustrations of Italian Renaissance Sculptures by the Great Masters which have passed through the House of Duveen. New York, 1944: figs. 60-62, as Bust of a Boy.
- Louchheim, Aline B. "Children Should Be Seen." Art News Annual 46 (1948): 52, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Mellon Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1949 (reprinted 1953 and 1958): 152, repro., as Bust of a Little Boy.
- Seymour, Charles. Masterpieces of Sculpture from the National Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1949: 175-176, note 20, repro. 77-79, as Bust of a Little Boy.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 152, as Bust of a Little Boy.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 135, repro., as Bust of a Little Boy.
- King, Marian. Adventures in Art: National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1978: 35-36, pl. 14, as Bust of a Little Boy [incorrectly identified at Samuel H. Kress Collection].
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 626, no. 971, repro., as Bust of a Little Boy.
- Luchs, Alison. "Duveen, the Dreyfus Collection, and the Treatment of Italian Renaissance Sculpture: Examples from the National Gallery of Art." Studies in the History of Art 24 (1990):34-35, repro.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 73, repro.
- Tansey, Richard G. and Fred S. Kleiner. Gardner's Art Through the Ages. 10th ed. Fort Worth, 1996: 713, color fig. 21.48.
- Bormand, Marc. "De la naissance à la mort. Diversité d'espression dans l'oeuvre de Desiderio da Settignano." In Connors, Joseph, Alessandro Nova, Beatrice Paolozzi Strozzi and Gerhard Wolf, eds. Papers from a colloquium held at the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florence, Max-Planck-Institut, and at Villa I Tatti, The Harvard University Center for Italian Renaissance Studies, Florence, May 9-12, 2007 on occasion of the exhibition in Florence dedicated to Desiderio da Settignano. Venice, 2011: 31, repro. p. 32.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection