No overview available.
Marks and Labels
William Graham [1817-1885], London; (his estate sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 2-3 and 8-10 April 1886, 5th day, no. 417); (Colnaghi, London and New York); Robert Henry [1850-1929] and Evelyn Holford [1856-1943] Benson, London and Buckhurst Park, Sussex; sold 1927 to (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); sold 1942 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1943 to NGA.
- School of Ferrara-Bologna, Burlington Fine Arts Club, London, 1894, no. 54, pl. XVII.
- Works of Old Masters, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1896, no. 110.
- National Loan Exhibition, Grafton Galleries, London, 1909-1910, no. 87, repro.
- Loan Exhibition of the Benson Collection of Old Italian Masters, City of Manchester Art Gallery, 1927, no. 22.
- Exhibition of Italian Art 1200-1900, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1930, no. 407 (no. 337 of commemorative catalogue published 1931; not in souvenir catalogue).
- Exhibition of Italian Renaissance Art, Wadsworth Atheneum and Morgan Memorial, Hartford, 1932, no. 19.
- Esposizione della Pittura Ferrarese del Rinascimento, Ferrara, May-October 1933, no. 184, repro.
- Italian Paintings from the XIV to the XVI Century, Detroit Institute of Fine Arts, March 1933, no. 83.
- Classics of the Nude, Knoedler Galleries, New York, 1939, no. 7, as Circe.
- Masterpieces of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture from 1300-1800, New York World's Fair, 1939, no. 82.
- Recent Additions to the Kress Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1946, no. 716.
- Dosso Dossi: Court Painter in Renaissance Ferrara, Exhibit Halls, Palazzo dei Diamanti, Ferrara; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, 1998-1999, no. 3, repro.
- Heroínas [Heroines], Fundación Caja Madrid, 2011, no. 62, repro.
- Benson, Robert Henry. Catalogue of Italian Pictures at 16 South Street, Park Lane, London and Buckhurst in Sussex. London, privately printed, 1914: no. 60.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Masterpieces of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1944: 72, color repro.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. The Kress Collection in the National Gallery. New York, 1944: 49, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 103, repro.
- Einstein, Lewis. Looking at Italian Pictures in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1951: 94-97, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1956: 28, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Comparisons in Art: A Companion to the National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC. London, 1957 (reprinted 1959): pl. 44
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 168, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 140, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 43
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds, A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 1:164, color repro.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 36, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XV-XVI Century. London, 1968: 73, fig. 176.
- Shapiro, Maurice L. "The Widener Orpheus." Studies in the History of Art vol. 6 (1974):24-25, repro. p. 28.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 110, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:167-168, II:pl. 116
- Watson, Ross. The National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1979: 45, pl. 28.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 192, no. 222, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 134, repro.
- Sebag-Montefiore, Charles. "Three Lost Collections of London." National Art Collections Fund Magazine 38 (Christmas 1988): 54.
- Bronstein, Léo. Kabbalah and Art, New Brunswick and London, 1997, no. 3, repro.
- Hand, John Oliver. National Gallery of Art: Master Paintings from the Collection. Washington and New York, 2004: 88-88, no. 63, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection