No overview available.
lower right: S R Gifford / 1865 / mt. [?] / July 22, 1864
Marks and Labels
The artist; possibly (sale, Artists' Fund Society by Leeds & Miner, New York, 29 December 1865, no. 50, as Green Mountain, Mt. Desert); Graham. Possibly John Frederick Kensett [1816-1872], New York. Possibly Miss A.M. Williams, Augusta, Maine, in 1881. Lee Freedman, Southwest Harbor, Maine, in 1978. (Thomas Colville, New Haven); purchased 1979 by Jo Ann and Julian Ganz, Jr., Los Angeles; gift (partial and promised) 2004 to NGA.
- Possibly Boston Athenaeum, 1865, no. 245, as From the Green Mountains--Mt. Desert.
- Possibly The Collection of Paintings of the Late Mr. John F. Kensett, National Academy of Design, New York, 1873, no. 789, as A Study from Nature--Mt. Desert.
- An American Perspective. Nineteenth-Century Art from the collection of Jo Ann & Julian Ganz, Jr., National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Amon Carter Museum, Forth Worth; Los Angeles Museum of Art, 1981-1982, unnumbered catalogue, fig. 18.
- The Painted Sketch: American Impressions from Nature 1830-1880, Dallas Museum of Art; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, 1998-1999, no. 60, repro.
- Inventing Acadia: Artists and Tourists at Mount Desert, The Farnsworth Art Museum, Rockland, Maine, 1999, unnumbered catalogue, fig. 67.
- Hudson River School Visions: The Landscapes of Sanford R. Gifford, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Amon Carter Museum, Fort Worth; National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2003-2004, no. 39, repro.
- Weir, John F. A Memorial Catalogue of the Paintings of Sanford Robinson Gifford, N.A., New York, 1881: no. 365, as A View from Green Mountain, Mount Desert, Me..
- The Magazine Antiques 116 (November 1979): 948, repro.
- Brown, Hilton. "Unfamiliar Views and Distant Lands: How Ten Artists Composed Design Elements to Make Interesting Paintings." American Artist (November 1985): 530-531, repro.
- Weiss, Ila. Poetic Landscape: The Art and Experience of Sanford R. Gifford. Newark, 1987: 246-247, pl. 20.
- Wilmerding, John. American Views: Essays on American Art. Princeton, 1991: 5, color pl. 1, fig. 2.
- Wilmerding, John. The Artist's Mount Desert: American Painters on the Maine Coast. Princeton, 1994: 131-133, fig. 132, frontispiece.
- Avery, Kevin J. The Panorama and Its Manifestation in American Landscape Painting, 1795-1870. Ph.D dissertation, Columbia University, New York, 1995: 361-363, fig. 171.
- Harvey, Eleanor Lewis Jones. "That Earlier, Wilder Image": Oil Sketches by American Landscape Painters, 1830-1880." Ph.D. dissertation, Yale University, New Haven, 1998: 70-71, fig. 17.
- Katlan, Alexander. "The American Artist's Tools and Materials for On-Site Oil Sketching." Journal of the American Institute for Conservation 38, no. 1 (Spring 1999): 22.
- Belanger, Pamela J. Maine in America: American Art at The Farnsworth Art Museum. Rockland, Maine, 2000: 60.
- Skrapits, Joseph C. "Sacred Scenery." American Artist 64, no. 692 (March 2000): 26, 78, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection