No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Possibly E. Williamson, Paris. Sir Stewart M. Samuel, Bt., London. George J. Gould, Lakewood, New Jersey, by at least 1920. (Duveen Brothers Inc., London, New York, and Paris); sold 1941 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1943 to NGA.
- French Decorative Art and Sculpture of the XVIII Century, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 1920.
- Exhibition of Sculpture, Duveen Galleries, New York, 1941, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Bernini and the Birth of Baroque Portrait Sculpture, The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles; National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, 2008-2009, no. 6.8, repro.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 254, repro. 225, as by Lorenzo Bernini.
- Duveen Brothers, Inc. Duveen Sculpture in Public Collections of America: A Catalog Raisonné with illustrations of Italian Renaissance Sculptures by the Great Masters which have passed through the House of Duveen. New York, 1944: figs. 230-231, as by Giovanni Lorenzo Bernini.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. The Kress Collection in the National Gallery. New York, 1944: 78, repro. p. 63.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 202, repro., as by Lorenzo Bernini.
- Seymour, Charles. Masterpieces of Sculpture from the National Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1949: 182, note 49, repro. 152-153, as by Lorenzo Bernini.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Comparisons in Art: A Companion to the National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC. London, 1957 (reprinted 1959): pl. 84, as by Bernini.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 439, repro., as by Giovanni Lorenzo Bernini.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 146, as by Bernini.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 130, repro., as by Bernini.
- Middeldorf, Ulrich. Sculptures from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Schools XIV-XIX Century. London, 1976: 81.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 29, repro.
- Villeneuve, René. Baroque to Neo-Classical: Sculpture in Quebec. Ottawa, 1997: 51-52. repro. fig. 35.
- Kathrens, Michael C. American Splendor: The Residential Architecture of Horace Trumbauer. New York, 2002: repro. 152.
- Penny, Nicholas. "The Evolution of the Plinth, Pedestal, and Socle." In Collecting Sculpture in Early Modern Europe. Nicholas Penny and Eike D. Schmidt, eds. Studies in the History of Art 70, Symposium Papers 47 (2008): 478-479.
- Miner, Carolyn H. “Not by Bernini: A Re-Examination of the National Gallery’s Bronze Bust of Louis XIV.” In Carolyn H. Miner, ed. The Eternal Baroque. Studies in Honour of Jennifer Montagu. Milan, 2015: 103-117, repro.