by later hand, upper left verso in graphite: DB 2877 / F. TOWNE; by artist, upper left verso in brown ink: Coombmartin / August the 26th 1783 / Francis Towne / Bay north west & south east; by Paul Oppé, center verso in graphite: 189 B.P; by later hand, lower right in graphite: NO / (not deciphered) / NO 3 francis / 2218
Bequeathed by the artist to James White, Exeter (1744 - 1825) in 1816; John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844) in 1825; to his granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, in 1915; (sold in 1933 by Judith Ann Merivale to H. B. Milling, Squire Gallery, London); (Fine Art Society, London); Joseph de Carle Smith, Norwich, 14 May 1937. (sale, Phillips, 21 November 1988); (Agnew's, London); Donald Stone, New York; gift to NGA, 2001.
- Annual Water Colour Exhibition 1926, The Judge's Lodgings, Winchester, December 1926 - January 1927, no. 123.
- Squire Gallery Summer Exhibition of Early English Watercolours and Drawings, Squire Gallery, London, 1934, no. 1.
- An Exhibition of Early English Water-Colour Drawings, Fine Art Society, London, 1936, no. 28.
- Exhibition of Early English Water-Colour Drawings, Fine Art Society, London, 1937, no. 48.
- English Watercolours and Drawings: Agnew's 116th Annual Exhibition, Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 1989, no. 19.
- English Watercolours and Drawings: Agnew's 119th Annual Exhibition, Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 1992, no. 15.
- English Watercolours and Drawings: Agnew's 120th Annual Exhibition, Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 1993, no. 16.
- The Artist's Vision: Romantic Traditions in Great Britain, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2006 - 2007