No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Marquis de Biron, Paris and Château de Biron, Monpazier; sold 1926 to (Wildenstein & Co., Inc., Paris, New York, and London); sold 19 November 1927 or 1929 to Chester Dale [1883-1962], New York; gift 1943 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Paintings by J.-B. S. Chardin, Wildenstein Galleries, New York, 1926, no. 12, repro.
- "La Nature Morte" from Chardin to the Abstract, Wildenstein Galleries, New York, 1930, no. 1.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, no cat.
- "Still Life 'From Chardin to the Abstract' Revealed in Show." Art Digest 4 (15 January 1930):11, repro.
- Wildenstein, Georges. Chardin. Paris, 1933: no. 798, repro. pl. LXXXII, no. 108.
- French Paintings from the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 15, repro., as Still Life.
- Jewell, Edward Alden. "The National Gallery's New Riches: An Additional Selection of Paintings from the Chester Dale Collection on Loan." The New York Times (22 February 1942): repro.
- Mechlin, Leila. "National Gallery Gets New Gifts from Chester Dale." Washington Sunday Star (11 July 1943):
- Washington Times-Herald (18 July 1943): C-10.
- French Paintings from the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1944: 15, repro., as Still Life.
- Wildenstein and Company. French XVIII Century Paintings. New York, 1948: 4.
- Jourdain, Francis. Chardin. Paris, 1949: repro. 56.
- Denvir, Bernard. Chardin. New York, 1950: pl. 28.
- French Paintings from the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1953: 21, repro., as Still Life.
- Einstein, Lewis. "Looking at French Eighteenth Century Pictures in Washington." Gazette des Beaux-Arts 6th ser., 67, no. 1048-1049 (May-June 1956): 234.
- Wildenstein, Georges. Chardin. Zurich, 1963: no. 287, fig. 136.
- Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Paintings & Sculpture of the French School in the Chester Dale Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 21, repro., as Still Life.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 26, as Still Life.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 20, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 66, repro., as Still Life.
- Rosenberg, Pierre. L'opera completa di Chardin. Milan, 1983: no. 22, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 86, repro.
- Martinez, Benjamin, and Jacqueline Block. Visual Forces: An Introduction to Design. Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1995: 22, repro. 23B.
- The Arts of France from François Ier to Napoléon Ier. A Centennial Celebration of Wildenstein's Presence in New York. Exh. cat. Wildenstein & Co., New York, 2005: 78 (not in the exhibition).
- Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 11, 59-62, color repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection