No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Purchased 1839 in Bologna by William Buchanan [1777-1846], London. R.P. Nichols, Esq., by 1868. Robert Stayner Holford [1808-1892], Dorchester House, London, by 1887; by inheritance to Sir George Lindsay Holford [1860-1926], Dorchester House; (his estate sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 15 July 1927, no. 111); purchased by Hopkins, London. Leopold Hirsch, London; (his estate sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 11 May 1934, no. 136); purchased by J.S. Goldschmidt. (Galerie Étienne Bignou, Paris); sold 14 December 1934 to Chester Dale [1883-1962], New York; gift 1943 to NGA.
- National Exhibition of Works of Art, Leeds, 1868, no. 136a, as A Venetian Senator.
- Exhibition of Works by the Old Masters. Winter Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1887, no. 139, as Portrait of a Man.
- Exhibition of Venetian Art, New Gallery, London, 1894-1895, no. 162, as Portrait of a Man.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- Washington Times-Herald 18 July 1943:C-10
- Paintings other than French in the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 9, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 128.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 115, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 340, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:464-465, II:pl. 331
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 392, repro.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection