No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Anne Russell Digby, Countess of Bristol [d. 1696/7], by 1679; by inheritance to Anne Digby Spencer, Countess of Sunderland [d. 1715], by 1685; by inheritance to her youngest son, the Hon. John Spencer [d. 1746], Althorp, Northamptonshire; by inheritance to John Spencer, 1st Earl Spencer [1734-1783], Althorp; by inheritance to George John Spencer, 2nd Earl Spencer [1758-1834], Althorp; by inheritance to John Charles Spencer, 3rd Earl Spencer [1782-1845], Althorp; by inheritance to Frederick Spencer, 4th Earl Spencer [1798-1857], Althorp; by inheritance to John Poyntz Spencer, 5th Earl Spencer [1835-1910], Althorp; by inheritance to Charles Robert Spencer, 6th Earl Spencer [1857-1922], Althorp; by inheritance to Albert Edward John Spencer, 7th Earl Spencer [1892-1975], Althorp; sold 1924 to (Thos. Agnew & Sons, Ltd., London); sold 1925 to (Arthur J. Sulley and Co., London); inheritance from Estate of Peter A.B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, after purchased 1925 by funds of the Estate; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Old Masters, Thomas Agnew and Sons, London, 1922
- Masterpieces of Western European Painting of the XVIth-XXth Centuries from the Museums of the European Countries and USA, State Hermitage Museum, Leningrad, 1989, no. 5, repro.
- Rings: Five Passions in World Art, High Museum of Art, Atlanta, 1996, unnumbered cat., repro.
- Valentiner, Wilhelm R., ed. Unknown Masterpieces in Public and Private Collections. London, 1930: n.p., pl. 24.
- Paintings in the Collection of Joseph Widener at Lynnewood Hall. Intro. by Wilhelm R. Valentiner. Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, 1931: 6, repro.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 7.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds., Masterpieces of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1944: 68, color repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Widener Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1948 (reprinted 1959): 23, repro.
- Einstein, Lewis. Looking at Italian Pictures in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1951: 86-87, repro.
- The National Gallery of Art and Its Collections. Foreword by Perry B. Cott and notes by Otto Stelzer. National Gallery of Art, Washington (undated, 1960s): 26.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 150, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 130.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 1:180, color repro.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 117, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 346, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: I:492-495, II:pl. 348, as Titian and Studio.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 212, no. 259, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 396, repro.
- Kopper, Philip. America's National Gallery of Art: A Gift to the Nation. New York, 1991: 195.
- Goffen, Rona. Titian's Women, 1997, no. 131, repro.