No overview available.
Marks and Labels
Louis Huth. E. Govett. S.E. Kennedy, London. (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased by William Salomon [1852-1919], New York; (his estate sale, American Art Galleries, New York, 4-7 April 1923, 2nd day, no. 415, as 16th Century Italian); (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); inheritance from Estate of Peter A.B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, after purchase by funds of the Estate; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Fanciful Flourishes: Ornament in European Graphic Art and Related Objects, 1300-1800, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994, brochure, no. 14.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 8, as Bronze Mortar by Italian Artist 16th Century.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Widener Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1948 (reprinted 1959): 153, repro., as Mortar with Mythological Scenes and the Arms of the Este Family by North Italian 16th Century.
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 173.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 636, no. 998, repro.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 176, repro.