No overview available.
on bottom and inside of base: ASTORGIVS.MANFREDVS./ SECVDVS.FAVENTIE.DOMINVS / ANNO.XLII.ETATIS.SVE / 1455 / OPVS.NINI
Marks and Labels
Louis-Charles Timbal [1821-1880], Paris. Baron Arthur de Schickler [1828-1919], Paris, and Martinvast, Normandy (near Cherbourg); by inheritance to his daughter, Marguerite, Comtesse Hubert de Pourtalès [1870-1956], Paris, and Martinvast, Normandy; sold April 1919 to (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris) in part-share agreement with (Wildenstein & Co., Inc., New York) and (Arnold Seligmann & Co., Paris); inheritance from Estate of Peter A.B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, after purchase 13 January 1922 by funds of the Estate; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Masterpieces of World Art from American Museums from Ancient Egyptian to Contemporary Art, The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo; The Kyoto National Museum, Japan, 1976, no. 18.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 8.
- Duveen Brothers, Inc. Duveen Sculpture in Public Collections of America: A Catalog Raisonné with illustrations of Italian Renaissance Sculptures by the Great Masters which have passed through the House of Duveen. New York, 1944: figs. 108-111.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Widener Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1948 (reprinted 1959): 120, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 163
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 144, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 625, no. 965, repro.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 153, repro.
- Norman Herz, Katherine A. Holbrow and Shelley G. Sturman. "Marble Sculture in the National Gallery of Art: a Provenance Study." In Max Schvoerer, ed. Archéomatériaux: marbres et autres roches: ASMOSIA IV, Bordeaux, France 9-13 october 1995: actes de la IVème Conférence international de l’Association pour l’étude des marbres et autres roches utilizes dans le passé. Talence, 1999: 101-110.
- National Gallery of Art Special Issue. Connaissance des Arts. Paris, 2000:59.
Work of Art
Work of Art
- Event Name
- March 1–June 1
- Mon, Tues, and Wed at 1:00
- March 5, 2012 at 2:00
March 7, 2012 at 4:00
- East Building, Auditorium
- Name of docent
- 60 minutes
- Registration for this event begins on April 1, 2012 at noon.
- Download the program notes (100k)
- Italian Collection