Marquess of Exeter, Burghley House, London, in 1888. John Edward Taylor, London; (his estate sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 1-4, 9-10 July 1912, 1st day, no. 17, as by Riccio); (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 11 November 1912 by Peter A.B. Widener, Lynnewood Hall, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; inheritance from Estate of Peter A.B. Widener by gift through power of appointment of Joseph E. Widener, Elkins Park, Pennsylvania; gift 1942 to NGA.
- Antiquity in the Renaissance, Smith College Museum of Art, Northampton, Massachusetts, 1978, no. 124.
- Image and Word, Elizabeth Myers Mitchell Art Gallery, St. John's College, Annapolis, Maryland, 1989, no. 22.
- Fanciful Flourishes: Ornament in European Graphic Art and Related Objects, 1300-1800, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994, brochure, no. 24.
- Works of Art from the Widener Collection. Foreword by David Finley and John Walker. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 9, as Triangular Inkstand by Riccio.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Widener Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1948 (reprinted 1959): 143, repro., as Triangular Inkstand by Riccio.
- Mariacher, Giovanni. Bronzetti veneti del rinascimento. Vicenza, 1971: repro. no. 54.
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 73.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 162, repro.
- Pellegrini, Francesca. "Desiderio da Firenze, Bruciaprofumi con satiro." In Augusti, Adriana, et al, eds. Donatello e il suo tempo: il bronzetto a Padova nel Quattrocento e nel Cinquecento. Exh. cat. Musei Civici, Padua, 2001: 184.
- Penny, Nicholas. "The Evolution of the Plinth, Pedestal, and Socle." In Collecting Sculpture in Early Modern Europe. Nicholas Penny and Eike D. Schmidt, eds. Studies in the History of Art 70, Symposium Papers 47 (2008): 466 fig. 10.
- Leino, Marika. Fashion, Devotion and Contemplation: The Status and Functions of Italian Renaissance Plaquettes. Oxford, 2013: 148 fig. 91, 149-150, n. 77.