This plaquette has been combined with four other plaquettes (1918.104.22.168,.3-.5) and a plain panel to make a partially lidded box, of which this plaquette is the lid. On its reverse are: 397 in white paint, canceled by a red bar, and 272 in red paint. The plain panel serves as the bottom of the box, and on its underside are markings for each of the plaquettes. Relevant to 1922.214.171.124 are: D476 and C54 A, both in red paint.
Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 1945 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
- Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection: Renaissance Bronzes. Oxford, 1931: 62-64, no. 54, pl. 21, 22.
- Renaissance Bronzes: Statuettes, Reliefs and Plaquettes, Medals and Coins from the Kress Collection. Introduction by Perry B. Cott. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 137, repro. 39, as Casket with scenes from the life of a saint by Paduan 16th Century.
- Pope-Hennessy, John W. Renaissance Bronzes from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Reliefs, Plaquettes, Statuettes, Utensils and Mortars. London, 1965: no. 525.
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 50, no. 7-8.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 161, repro.
- Van Waveren-Hooft, Eliane. "Le Placchette con le 'Storie di San Simeone': Contesto e stile di un manufatto rinascimentale emigrato." In Storia di San Benedetto Polirone. L'età della soppressione. Ed. Piva and Simonelli. Bologna, 2001: 181, fig. 5.