No overview available.
Marks and Labels
The artist [1844-1916], Philadelphia; by inheritance to his widow, Susan Macdowell Eakins [1851-1938], Philadelphia; Samuel S. Fleisher [1871-1944], Philadelphia; The Samuel S. Fleisher Art Memorial, Philadelphia, until c. 1956; Frank Chinnici, Philadelphia, until c. 1976; John Castagno, Philadelphia, until 1978; (Hirschl & Adler Galleries, New York); Mr. and Mrs. Stuart P. Feld, New York; gift 2004 to NGA.
- Carved and Modeled: American Sculpture 1810-1940, Hirschl & Adler Galleries, New York, 1982, no. 20, repro.
- Primary Models: American Plasters 1880-1945, Hirschl & Adler Galleries, New York, 1990, no. 3, repro., as Horse.
- Goodrich, Lloyd. Thomas Eakins: His Life and Work, New York, 1933: 208, no. 501, as Ecorché.
- Rosenzweig, Phyllis D. The Thomas Eakins Collection of the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Chicago and London, 1979: 38, n. 125, as unlocated.
- Rawlings, Irene. "The Horse in Art," Palm Beach/Newport Illustrated, XXXII (December 1983): 45, repro.
- Rogers, Jr., Millard F. Sketches and Bozzetti by American Sculptors, 1880-1950, Cincinnati, 1987: 57-58, no. 38, repro., as The Mare Josephine, incorrectly dated "about 1878."